About Me

I was born in McMinnville, Oregon and lived in Portland, Oregon, La Mirada, California and McMinnville, Oregon. My career dream was to be a geologist. My B.S. is from the University of Oregon. GO DUCKS!! Although I nearly graduated with a degree in English, I changed at the last minute to Elementary Education. A week after graduation I was married and we moved to Coos Bay, Oregon. I was a substitute teacher until beginning law school in 1975. I attended Lewis & Clark Northwestern School of Law in Portland, Oregon. I found law school to be an exercise in swimming upstream. (Really? Help people? Loud laughter.)

At times it felt like swimming in a sewer. After several months of researching whether “Christian lawyer” was an oxymoron for me, I was invited to share an office in Cedar Mill, Oregon. For the next ten years I practiced community law (wills, family law, landlord/tenant, business). My favorite area was criminal defense, especially trial work. I also worked for 2 ½ years as a public defender.

In 1978 I was called to prison chaplaincy. During seminary, I knew that I was being called to pastoral ministry. (NO. No way.) I did a year of volunteer/clinical work at the Multnomah County Detention Center. And I accepted the call to pastoral ministry.

During the next 12 years, I served four churches as pastor in Oregon, Indiana and Montana. I had many opportunities to speak at local, state and national gatherings.

I also worked as a cashier at Meijer and a Reader’s Advisory Librarian in Carmel, Indiana. I completed my first quilt and played violin in the Carmel Symphony.

I currently have a job that uses all my gifts and experience: hospital chaplain. I know every time I go to work I am going to make a difference in someone’s life.

My volunteer work includes being a trustee on the Missoula Public Library board. I helped start the Church Relations team for Habitat for Humanity, Missoula. I love books and am a member of the Missoula Calligrapher’s Guild.

And now, I am an author. I plan to have as much fun as I can learning how to publicize my book, Spiritual Nutrition: Healthy Eating for the Christian Heart, which will include, I hope, a speaking ministry. I am at work on a follow-up book, Spiritual Bodybuilding: When You're Ready for More.

©2009 Christine Prescott

No comments: